In our opinion, a lighted dog leash is the most important dog safety product. It literally saved our lives and every day we hear another story from a customer about how it saved them on a walk.
In our case, we were walking around a corner and the car screeched to a halt right in front of us and the driver stammered how sorry they were that they would have hit us if they didn’t see the leash. That was it. It was a true Oprah moment- we vowed to start a business and sell this great product. We even created our name and logo around this product.
The most important feature of the lighted dog leash is that it forms a visible line from you to the dog so you are very visible. Most leashes using a flashing technology because the flash creates more visibility -the flash is more visible to drivers. Most lights don’t go all of the way to the end of the leash for several reasons. First, the power needed for the longer strip of lights exceeds the amount of juice created by most batteries. Second, when the lights go all of the way down it puts them near the dog’s collar and D-ring, the pulling motion on the leash disables the circuitry. Lastly, it creates an additional cost and most people feel most comfortable spending about $20-25 for a lighted leash.
Here’s some tips for choosing the right leash for you and your dog
- If your dog is a major puller, then get the reflective, glow leash, there are no circuits that can break
- The LED lighted leashes are visible for 1/2 mile/ Glow leashes are visible for 1/4 mile
- The VISIGLO LED leash and the Glow leashes have two modes -ALWAYS-ON & blink mode !
- The steady light feature uses more power so you might have to change the batteries more often
- You can walk two dogs with one lighted dog leash, just add a dog coupler to the bottom of the leash
- If you have a small dog, choose the flashing red & blue leash, it comes in a smaller size and is lighter
- We recommend an armband or slaplight for you to add to the visibility
Here’s a video showing the leash in action:
Most leashes have matching lighted dog collars, so your dog is also protected when not on a leash. The glow collar is the most durable lighted dog collar, then the dog-e-lites collars, then the LED safety collar, lastly the Visiglo lighted collars. The Visiglo lighted dog leash is a fantastic, durable leash but the collars have some issues. They are exposed to more factors; being taken on and off, dog’s fur and moisture, etc.
A lighted leash typically lasts six months to two years, depending upon these factors:
- Your dog’s personality -pullers, biters,leash shakers, chewers, etc
- How it is stored (no garages-cold affect electronics)
- Usage-did it drop, do you take it everywhere, does it sit in the sunlight, etc
At Keep Doggie Safe, we warranty the leash for 30 days to match the manufacturer’s warranty. We have been selling these leashes for over six years and have found if the leash is defective, it typically breaks within a month, and we will cheerfully replace it.
Once you walk with a lighted leash, you won’t want to go out at dawn or dusk without it. It’s similiar to driving a car with seatbelts, it becomes a valuable habit that could save you and your dog.
Be Safe. Be Seen. Love Your Dog.
Top Dog- Chat with me anytime, I’m online to help you while you are shopping